Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

PLENK2010 and the QEP

I fear that many of my students will have similar problems to the ones that I am having.  I never want my students to feel overwhelmed or left out.  I never want to spend half of my semester teaching students about concepts, applications, and theories dealing with technology rather than the subject matter of my course.  I never want a student to miss assignments due to technological glitches, and I hate being in a position where a student is lying to me about technological glitches.  Responses to my Wiki have been limited, and I don't think anyone from class or from the QEP committee actually reads this blog.  I hate that my online students or classroom students would ever feel this way, and I simply do not have the time to teach 85 individuals Art Appreciation and 50 majors their workshops.  I also think it is totally unacceptable to think that students should or can "generate their own content."

The plusses are that this will get students writing something, anything.  In the process of doing so, maybe they will think critically or take a look at what another student is writing.  In writing, maybe they will get better at it.  That's all.  I really don't have much faith in this revolution in learning.  Why are we making such a big deal out of it, anyway?  It's just some computer apps.  It doesn't magically change someone into a great thinker.  Best to keep it simple.  I am excited about that.  I am excited about the possibilities it presents educators and some students, but a lot of students who already are intimidated and overwhelmed by education are not magically going to feel otherwise because they are saddled with the burden of creating a complex assortment of apps.  I would rather spend time building a PLE than waxing philosophical about its educational purpose.

6 comments:

  1. I like that at the tip top of Bloom's pyramid is "creative." Seems we artists have been dealing with the upper level learning processes all along. See Daniel Pink's "A Whole New Mind."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to page discussing Bloom's taxonomy and blogging: http://community.learningobjects.com/Users/Nancy.Rubin/Objects_of_Interest/2009/12/Blogging_and_Blooms_Taxonomy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, artists have been at the tip all along. It's the creative aspect that challenges me, and I'm wondering what connection critical thinking has with creativity. There is a part of me that wants to think that critical thinking is little more than the rote application of a monkey skill. Just put some data in the logic mill, turn the handle, and out pops a little answer.

    But I also keep hoping that CT is more. Any ideas?

    And yes, we do read the blogs, just not as dedicated as we should be. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanted to think more about some of your other comments.

    You are correct that some of your students will initially feel the same way about this blogging stuff as you are feeling: disconnected, talking to the wall, futile. Creating a new and vibrant learning ecosystem is not so easy, and I'm glad that you've brought this up. It is something that we need to say in QEP, and I will find the opportunity if you don't say it first.

    Still, even though I have been too distracted to connect to your blog these past couple of weeks, I am connecting now. It's one of the magics behind asynchronous communication. Some of my best comments on my own blog have come weeks, or months, after I've posted some thought. Sometimes I have to go back and read what I said just to remember.

    Does this revolution magically change someone into a good thinker? I don't think so, and if I've implied such, then I need to correct my error. This shift does not make us better thinkers, but it believe that it will change the way good thinkers think. That's what I'm interested in exploring. And actually, I think the changes will favor the creative types, the artists. Daniel Pink, who you referenced in another post, also thinks so. Let's talk about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chaz,
    I "finally" found this, after Keith told me that you were one of our most prolific bloggers. The "problem" is that we have the QEP faculty blogs on our ASU QEP site. The idea was that the group of 11 + us would write and read each other's blogs about using QEP there.

    I dont know whether it would be difficult for you to start blogging there (on your original blog, started June 17, I think). Or maybe we can add the address of this blog to the faculty list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just want to reiterate, being "left out" was a good experience for me.

    There was a quote I picked up in PLENK regarding "The designers," the people who could assimilate and repurpose information as being the power brokers of the future. That is horribly paraphrased, but I think that I got the essence. Perhaps its the designer who can actually coordinate all of these applications. LOL

    ReplyDelete